Saturday, February 9, 2013

HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR & HAPPY TET


GONG XI FA CAI - 恭禧發財 - CHUC NUNG NAM MOI  !

I just spent a wonderful, difficult, challenging, magical, moving five months in Taiwan, teaching again. ....My TNUA graduate and undergraduate film and theatre students have made this semester happy and meaningful for me, even when they peacefully sleep in class, dreaming of girlfriends and boyfriends! I've given them the chance to practice English, and they've given me a chance to speak English. Almost fair.

We talked about creative passion, real and imaginary artistic blocks, fear of failure and losing face, taking risks in filmmaking and life, interesting and clear unique storytelling, communicating with an audience of over 2, impoverished International art cinema vs. greedy Hollywood entertainment, personal taste and critical judgement, learning from films you hate, and, most important, the best restaurants.

I will deeply miss Taiwan and Taiwanese lovers, friends, students, teachers, and MRT (best in the world), but not Taiwan politics and bureaucracy. As famous General Douglas MacArthur said, "I shall return!" (But he was fired.)

Have the warmest, most intimate, loving, kind new year 2013 with your family, friends, and cute snakes!

Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog is for vulnerable communication from my heart, mind, and spirit, meant to touch readers who are passionate about creativity, art, life, and cultures.... Nastiness and personal attack are expressions of bitterness, not meaningful communication. The internet drowns in negativity, but not this site....Thoughtful criticism, however, is not negative, but an affirmation of ideals, hopes, and caring. Positive comments are more useful if they are not meant for my ego, but to share compassion and love....Thanks for reading, feeling, and sharing.