Thursday, March 7, 2013

RACISM & ME



Am I racist when I feel uneasy around black people who are poorly dressed in "street" clothes, look uneducated or culturally unsophisticated, and give off antagonistic or angry energy? I also feel uneasy around Hispanic and "white " people who are similar.

No, I am class-ist. I allow my class (not upper) to determine my animal instinctual preservation reaction. Once the potential adversary acknowledges me in any friendly or open way, my "classism" instantly disappears and we become two human beings on the same insane planet.....

The truth is, I have friends whom I love and trust from every (American) minority group: black, Hispanic, Asian, gays, lesbians, disabled. high school educated, teens, senior citizens, and Californian Republicans. (This is true.).

It is hardest for me to have friends in groups I intellectually, politically, or morally oppose: religious fundamentalists, NRA enthusiasts, the Tea Party, American ultra-nationalists, or truly prejudiced people.

Yes, I was prejudiced as a child, inheriting the symptom from my "good" parents who were not consciously prejudiced in their intellect, but out of fear and lack of first-hand relationships with those not in their own limited group. I don't feel prejudiced now, but prejudice isn't a competition. It's a social disease, and while I am far from terminal, I carry some infected genes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog is for vulnerable communication from my heart, mind, and spirit, meant to touch readers who are passionate about creativity, art, life, and cultures.... Nastiness and personal attack are expressions of bitterness, not meaningful communication. The internet drowns in negativity, but not this site....Thoughtful criticism, however, is not negative, but an affirmation of ideals, hopes, and caring. Positive comments are more useful if they are not meant for my ego, but to share compassion and love....Thanks for reading, feeling, and sharing.