Saturday, December 15, 2012

GUNS: HOT ENTERTAINMENT REALITY FRANCHISE RETURNS




When I was young, idealistic, undiplomatic, and certain of right and wrong, I was outspoken. I said exactly what I believed, openly, in newspapers and magazines, on bulletin boards and telephone poles. I signed opinions, often including my address, and even, recklessly, my photo....

Now I don't. I realize that the chance of me getting endlessly harassed on the internet, stalked, beaten-up, or killed, is no longer far from reality. 

The majority of Americans are not enamored by "free speech," despite what the brilliant Constitution and Bill of Rights may record, and what hypocritical politicians may say. Nor are opposing points-of-view tolerated by those who are most violent, or the tens-of-thousands of tragic, dangerous people who are over the edge of sanity.

The manufacture of repeating, non-sport murder guns can be instantly outlawed legally, but politicians refuse, even as they cry and verbally mourn the victims. 

More useful, would be making the manufacture and sale of bullets for such guns illegal, with very serious consequences for violation of the law. 

The reality is that virtually no politician, democratically-elected through massive publicity campaigns paid for by industries which earn massive profits through international killing and international wars, will commit feared political suicide by voting their ethical conscience or humanistic feelings.

Criminals, terrorists, will, of course, continue to make homemade guns and bullets. As will our conglomerate-capitalist competitors - rogue colonialist governments like China, Germany, France, and England. 

But it with an enforced legal ban on American assault weapons, there would be a fraction of what is now out there legally, and much less needless violent death.

This idealistic fantasy is as improbable as gays in the military and a black President.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog is for vulnerable communication from my heart, mind, and spirit, meant to touch readers who are passionate about creativity, art, life, and cultures.... Nastiness and personal attack are expressions of bitterness, not meaningful communication. The internet drowns in negativity, but not this site....Thoughtful criticism, however, is not negative, but an affirmation of ideals, hopes, and caring. Positive comments are more useful if they are not meant for my ego, but to share compassion and love....Thanks for reading, feeling, and sharing.